As Salam Alaykoum,

I'm sure many of you have heard the hadith that goes something like "we have come back from the lesser jihad to the greater jihad" but i'm having some trouble finding the reference for it (i.e which mukkalif and mukharij - narrator and transmittor) and which book it can be found in.

Reason i'm asking, is i was having a discussion with a brother the other day about Jihad in Islam. And he was saying that Jihad was ONLY to be used for the defensive (and never offensive - because "there is no compulsion in religion"), that Jihad an-nafs is greater than Jihad fi sabeelilah, and that every reference in the Quran for jihad refers to jihad an-nafs and not to kitaal (fighting).

One of the proofs he used for one of his arguments was the hadith im referring to, which i have heard of, but im trying find the reference for it so i can find out the context of it.

I was very surprised that he saw jihad in such a way - especially when Umar ibn Al-Khattab, Abu Bakr, and the prophet saw himself sent armies to the romans, as well as the persians to fight. I dont know what they base "jihad is only defensive" on. Also, to say that every time the word "Jihad" is used in the quran, it refers to jihad-an-nafs and not kital, i was very surpirsed, as i believe this is baseless, and allah knows best. As for jihad an-nafs being greater than Jihad fi sabilillah, i can see why he had that belief, but that is what i am planning to look up inshallah.

I appreciate anyone who can offer their assistance.

Jazakallahu Kheiryan.

Wa Salams